"No good deeds done on other days are superior to those done on these (first ten days of Zulhijjah)." The Prophet, (Sahih Bukhari)
Alhamdulillah, we’ve just welcomed the sacred month of Zulhijjah, a month that holds great significance, particularly due to the first 10 days of the month being referred to as the 'Best 10 Days of the Islamic year'.
These best 10 days are considered highly virtuous and present valuable opportunities for worship and good deeds. Imagine having your rewards multiplied throughout 10 days! Amongst the virtues and recommended actions during these days include:
1. Dhikr (Remembrance of Allah S.W.T.) - Engage in frequent dhikr throughout the day with simple recitations of supplications, glorifying His name and seeking forgiveness
2. Fasting - If you don’t know it yet, it’s highly recommended to fast during the first nine days of Zulhijjah - with the 10th day of Zulhijjah being the day of Eid! It’s especially important to fast on 9th Zulhijjah (Day of Arafah) and it is said that fasting on this day expiates sins of the previous and coming year.
3. Offering Sacrifice (Qurban) - Following the example of Prophet Abraham A.S., Muslims around the world offer animal sacrifices as an act of obedience and gratitude to Allah S.W.T.
5. Seek forgiveness - Don’t waste the rewards of the sacred month by increasing your repentance and seeking forgiveness for your past sins. This month, make sincere repentance by turning to Allah S.W.T. with sincere remorse and aim to rectify your actions.
6. Hajj Pilgrimage - Zulhijjah is the only month when the annual Hajj pilgrimage takes place. Performing Hajj for those who are financially and physically able to is a tremendous act of worship and completes one pillar of Islam.
7. Good Deeds - With rewards being multiplied this month, strive to engage in acts of kindness and be more conscious of how you can be of service to others, help your family and community and ultimately spread goodness wherever you can.
8. Sadaqah (Charity) - These are the best days to be generous and give in charity. While your Qurban feeds the poor, there’s still room for you to help others in different ways!
By actively participating in these virtuous deeds during the first ten days of Zulhijjah, you can maximise your rewards and draw closer to Allah S.W.T, while seeking His mercy and blessings. InsyaAllah, let's aim to make the most of these blessed days!